The Right Way

Thursday, October 22, 2009

There are many ways to read the Tarot. As many ways, in fact, as there are people. There are people who look up every card in the book for every reading, and do excellent readings; there are people who never learn a single "standard" card meaning, read the cards intuitively by looking at the pictures- and also do excellent, accurate readings.

Even the people who have assigned meanings to the cards don't always agree on what those meanings are. One person might say Judgment is about reconciling with your past so you can move on into your future, while another might say it refers to being caught in the grips of a difficult decision. Both of those interpretations are accurate for the reader, and that's what is important.

For myself, I am working on learning the book meanings, and I use those as a springboard to reach the message I see in the pictures on the cards. It works for me.

That's part of the reason I started this blog- I wanted a place to discuss my interpretations with others, to expand my understanding of the cards. I love it when I hear or read something that makes me think, "Oh! I never thought of it THAT way, that's excellent!"

So the "Right Way" to read the tarot is this: honestly, with love for the person you are reading for, and to the best of your ability.

3 comments:

AJ said...

I agree with you. The meaning of each card differs in some levels with other people, but almost always in the same context.

xdiminished said...

It seems hard to pin down one "by the book" definition. It seems There are almost as many published definitions are there are tarot publications! I'm still relatively new to reading, so I usually lay the cards out, get a feel for what it says to me just going from my gut. Then afterworld I'll check the book to see if I can take any additional information away from that and retain it for future readings.

Amary said...

That is an excellent point; and sometimes, the book meanings are contradictory, which is a pain. I like having them handy as a reference point, though; like, "Oh, this card is referring to balance in some way. How does that fit in? What is the picture telling me?" like that. So pretty much the mirror of what you're doing. :)

 
Strength and The Star - by Templates para novo blogger