The Ethics of Tarot

Thursday, November 5, 2009

I have been thinking for awhile about what my own personal code of ethics for reading tarot was going to be. Honestly, at first, I didn't really need one. My readings were pretty darn shallow, scratching only the surface, and usually not touching on subjects that were too uncomfortable.

As I progress, though, I seem to be delving deeper and touching on more and more painful areas. To be perfectly honest, I don't really like it. I would really like to tell people everything is sunshine and roses all the time. I can't.

I have found that I have a tendancy to try and "soften the blow" when faced with unpleasantness in the cards, and that's not fair to myself or to the person I'm reading for. I feel guilty when I can't tell them everything is going to be ok, but that is life- everything isn't always going to be ok. I need to work on remembering that, as a reader, the cards aren't about ME. It's not a conversation between me, the seeker, and the cards- it's a conversation between the seeker and the cards, and I'm translating.

The other thing I have been considering concerns privacy. I started this blog wanting to post readings on it, so that other readers could offer their interpretations, deepening my learning and the seeker's experience. Since then, though, the readings have touched on some deeply personal, painful issues, and it's been niggling at me that this was not the appropriate way to go about it. After some gentle nudges by some people whose opinions I respect, I'm going to go with my gut and stop posting readings to our blog. I am still available for free readings; if you would like one, feel free to email either of us using the links to the right. You can also add me to your MSN messenger under Strengthandthestar@hotmail.com; if you see me on there and available, feel free to ask me for a live reading- that's why I'm on.

Also, concerning the ethics of blogging: All images will be coming down today, and will not be going back up until and unless I have permission from the artists to post them. I'm not being sued, or anything; just trying to do what is right.

Thank you all for your patience with me while I bounce up and down the learning curve. :) Have a lovely Thursday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Amary, Ethics and Tarot=Huge Topic! As readers we all hit that point where we realize the intense and private subject matter that can come up during a reading. Thanks for sharing your process about this and your blog learning, too. This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to check in and read!

xo Autumn

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

Amary, I think you're doing a great job! Why don't you leave it up to the querents whether or not to post their readings on the blog?
Being the channel between the cards and querent gives you the opportunity to offer the advice that solutions can/should be looked for in certain situations. I've always preferred the word 'challenge' to 'bad news'.
Like Autumn said this type of thing is what keeps me reading...

Leigh/BlueDragonfly

 
Strength and The Star - by Templates para novo blogger